Criminal/DUI Defense Blog

Connecticut Marriage Goes from Arson and Kidnapping to a Question of Bail

Posted by Erin FieldApr 19, 20100 Comments

In a story that made headlines last summer, an seemingly angry ex husband allegedly burned down two homes and kidnapped and held his ex wife while holding police in a standoff. Now, the same couple is back in the Hartford news, this time because of a move from the wife.

The ex-wife in this case is seeking to have a portion of the husbands bail collateral turned over to her. She claims it is rightfully hers since the husband owes her $180,000. The husband's defense attorney argues the money isn't even his and instead is his brother's.

According to The Courant, the husband's brother posted $275,000 to cover his bail in both New London and Manchester. The husband's bail was later revoked in New London at which time all but $37,500 was returned to his brother. This remaining balance is what the wife wants.

The judge heard both sides at this latest hearing and suggested the wife seek resolution in the civil courts rather than the criminal. The case was continued.

Bail is a guarantee of future court appearances. In serious cases, bail is set higher because the risk of you not returning once released is greater. A $275,000 bail is measures beyond the type of bail I usually see and is obviously connected to the seriousness of the charges against this man. Kidnapping and arson are both considered very grave criminal charges.

When deciding how to set your bail, a judge will consider the severity of the charges against you and your likelihood to return to court as instructed. The greater of a risk you are, the higher your bail. In some cases no bail will be set at all.

Knowing how to handle your case from the arrest all the way to trial is the job of your defense lawyer. A defense attorney can speak with the judge regarding a reduction in bail and even petition for you to be released on your own recognizance.

If you are facing criminal charges, no matter the severity, I can help. Call today for a free consultation on your case.