Criminal Defense Lawyer for a Child

Criminal Defense Lawyer for a ChildIt’s a phone call no parent ever wants to get: a call from the police saying their child has been arrested. When your son or daughter is in jail, you need to know what to do.

If you’re in this situation, don’t panic. Know that it’s an ordeal that is better handled with the help of an attorney. This article will explain what to do if your child has been arrested.

Common Connecticut Juvenile Crimes

Arrests of young people are common in the United States. In a single recent year, law enforcement agencies made over 856,000 arrests of persons under the age of 18, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. 

The most common juvenile crimes are:

If you get a call from law enforcement saying your child has been arrested, you need to contact a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. An experienced juvenile criminal defense lawyer can explain what your child’s rights are, protect those rights, and give you an idea of what is happening and what likely will happen next. 

Rights in Juvenile Arrest

Police have the right to detain a minor in relation to any criminal investigation. They can question them without a parent or attorney present. 

Your child needs to know that they can – and should – exercise their Fifth Amendment right to remain silent. However, police are skilled in their ability to obtain statements from people under investigation, and especially juveniles or young adults who may not entirely understand their rights or lack the confidence to assert them.

So, if you find out your child did talk to police after their arrest, make sure they do not give any further statements. Also, try to ensure that your child does not reveal any incriminating evidence when police are around. There will be an opportunity later for discussions with your child and the attorney you hire.

Sometimes an arrest comes days or even months after the alleged crime took place. If you are contacted about an arrest warrant, an attorney can advise your child on how to protect themselves by avoiding giving a potentially incriminating statement and on how to avoid a public arrest.

It’s worth noting that there is no bail system for minors charged within the juvenile system. If your child remains in the custody of the juvenile detention center, a lawyer can fight for their release at the first court date.

How Can Field Law Help Me?

If your daughter or son has been arrested, please contact me, Erin Field. I am an experienced criminal defense attorney, and I represent people who are accused of crimes in Connecticut. 

I know that if your child has been arrested, you may be confused, angry, and fearful for their safety. I’ll be ready to help you understand the charges and the legal options available to your family. I will work aggressively to have charges against your child are reduced or dropped. 

Contact my firm to schedule a free consultation with me right away. I have a 100% success rate for first-time offenders, and I’ll be ready to seek the best outcome possible for your child.